Friday, July 12, 2013

"When I'm inspired, I get excited because I can't wait to see what I'llcome up with next." - Dolly Parton

Occasionally, I get calls or text messages from from people who just watched a movie, read a book, or listened to a song. They ask "meaning-of-life" questions, and they are inspired to change a part of their world. For example, if the main character in the book became extremely successful, the reader has the desire and inspiration to become just as successful. I get these same inspirations, but more often then not, it's by watching the people that I know personally achieve great things. 

I was the Cheyenne FFA Reporter from 2009 until recently, when I graduated high school. This was ultimately my favorite part about school. I was able to support my fellow FFA officers and members in their activities, and then I got to write articles that were published in the hometown newspaper about the successes the Cheyenne FFA Chapter had. In four years of being a Cheyenne FFA Chapter Officer, I wrote over 300 articles. I loved being able to show the community the successes that the FFA chapter was having. 

Most of the time, I had to ask someone to send me an update about the livestock show or speech contest, but during the last half of my senior year, I would get texts from four different people at once explaining how many plaques were brought home and by whom, and I didn't even have to ask. I'd like to say that these people would text me not because they knew I had to write an article about the event, but because they knew how excited I would get. 

My favorite articles to write were the ones specifically about one person, such as the "Cheyenne FFA Student of the Month". I loved hearing the stories these kids had about their favorite FFA event, and my favorite question to ask was "What are you most excited for in the FFA?". The answers always varied, but all of the members had some specific goal they wanted to accomplish before the end of the school year, and more often than not, the goals were achieved. That was what inspired me. 


Here is a specific example:

My first year to serve as a Cheyenne FFA Officer was in ninth grade. I had two fellow classmates who were also serving as officers, Bray and Joshua Haven. My first article to write was about the newly elected chapter officers. I asked the question, "What are you most excited for in the FFA?" and along the lines, both answered that they would maybe like to run for State FFA Office. Four years later, my last FFA article to write was about the first set of twins to ever serve on an Oklahoma FFA State Officer Team. 

I had the opportunity to serve as an officer with Bray and Joshua for four years. I wrote articles about nearly all of their success. These two boys rarely missed the opportunity to encourage a fellow FFA member to rise up to his or her potential. The Haven twins inspired me. 



I've had several people tell me that I should start a blog and continue to write. I don't know how often I would write, but when I decided I would, I decided to write it the best way I know how-- about the success of other people and why they inspire me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment