Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Dear High School Senior.... Part 3

So over a year ago, I wrote two posts called "Dear High School Senior..." (part 1 and part 2). I wrote them as a reflection of my senior year of high school and as encouragement to my high school friends. I've been wanting to write another version this year, but didn't exactly know what else to say. This post has been in the making for about a year, and I really hope that it offers an encouragement to high schoolers and parents right now. 

Dear High School Senior,

So. It's almost over. Crazy, huh? Lately, you've probably been walking the halls at school thinking that you may never see some of these people again. You may never have a bell that dismisses you from class or tell you that you're late. You may never open that bright orange locker as you hurriedly stuff your Chemistry textbook inside hoping that you beat the 7th graders to the lunch line. 

You're either really excited. Or really nervous. Maybe both. It depends on the day. You're constantly getting asked by adults what college you're going to and what career you're pursing. You're constantly being told stories of their college days. Teachers are repeatedly saying "You're not going to be this spoiled in college or at your job" as they let you work on your homework (that was due three days ago) in class. Your parents are getting sentimental. Or they're getting annoying as the ask each day when you'll hear back about one of those scholarships you applied for. The college you're going to or the employer who's hiring you isn't answering all your emails or phone calls. You're getting anxious and scared. 

You only have 5 more weeks. 

Let me ease some of your nerves. College isn't scary. (okay, maybe sometimes). Everyone there is in the exact same boat as you (except for that one kid who commuted to the college his or her senior year and is still living at home). Your parents are a phone call away (occasionally). And no one else knows what he or she is going to really do with his or her life.

Let me encourage you to slow down. Don't worry about spending all your free time with your friends (your family needs you, too). Don't worry about picking the best pictures and song to go in your senior slideshow (nobody remembers them in a year, anyway). "So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today," says Matthew 6:34. Slow down.

You will be okay when next fall comes around. I cannot stress this enough. Your parents have taught you to use your better judgment. So use it. You know if you’re doing something right or doing something wrong. So strive to do it right. You’ve been developing a brain for about 18 or 19 years. It’s there for a reason. Use it for the right reason.

I really don’t know if I have to words to convince you that it’s going to be okay. You’ve been told pretty much all there is to tell. Some things, you just have to figure out on your own, but you’ll have people there that will make sure that you’re being the best you.

They say college is supposed to be the best years of your life. But I really hope not. I hope that my life doesn’t go downhill as soon as I graduate from college. I hope that it continues to get better (even with a few bumps here and there) so that the very moment before I die, I can say that I lived the best life my entire life.

I really don’t know what else to say, except, Google can answer almost anything and everything.

Love,

Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment